- This event has passed.
Prepare Students for Tomorrow: Teach The Future Today
October 4, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
PREPARE STUDENTS TO THINK CRITICALLY & CREATIVELY ABOUT THE FUTURE
The Association of Professional Futurists is meeting in Pittsburgh, Oct 4-6. It brings to town a network of professional futurists, some of whom work with Teach the Future, a non-profit whose mission is to encourage and support educators to include futures thinking in their classes and schools. They have offered to share their ideas and approaches in a special session.
FACILITATORS: Facilitators include Peter Bishop, founder of Teach the Future and long-time director of the graduate program in Foresight at the University of Houston; Stuart Candy, newly appointed Associate Professor in the CM School of Design and creator of The Thing from the Future, and Katie King, former middle school ELA teacher and co-author of the Futures Thinking Playbook.
- What is futures thinking and why teach it?
- How we think about the future: Are you an Observer, Navigator, Explorer or Mapmaker?
- Critical thinking: The role of assumptions in judgments and decisions
- Creative and contingent thinking: The Imagine Game
- Design and experiential thinking: The Thing from the Future
- Teaching the future in your classroom
ABOUT TEACH THE FUTURE: Teach the Future is a nonprofit whose mission is to encourage teachers to incorporate futures thinking in their classrooms and schools, to learn why thinking about the future is beneficial for students and how to get started. Their online library of free teaching materials and The Futures Thinking Playbook provide educators with the materials to introduce futures thinking into their classrooms.