- This event has passed.
Create a Historical Cemetery Tour with Augmented Reality
October 6, 2017 @ 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Cost | Free
Event Description | Augmented reality is a live direct view of a physical, real-world environment whose elements are “augmented” by computer-generated input such as sound, video, or graphics.
This workshop will explore the integration of augmented reality technology into instruction through hands-on practice. In teams, participants will create a historical tour of Allegheny Cemetery, utilizing augmented reality technology to tell about the lives of those interred in this famous cemetery.
With the final product, participants will be able to point their phone at a headstone or landmark, triggering pictures, narration, stories and more. Teachers will conclude by exploring ways to support students in creating similar projects in their school and communities.
Background | According to their website, “Allegheny Cemetery has been the choice of more than 124,000 people as their final resting place. Some had worldwide fame, others were known throughout Pittsburgh. But most were known only by the friends and family who loved them and wanted the assurance that they would be memorialized in the most caring, dignified, and respectful manner possible. Together, they make up the Allegheny Cemetery family.”
Notable interments include:
- Ebenezer Denny (1761–1822), first mayor of Pittsburgh, American Revolutionary War veteran
- John Baptiste Ford (1811–1903), industrialist, founder of PPG Industries and Ford City, Pennsylvania
- Stephen Foster (1826–1864), songwriter
- Josh Gibson (1911–1947), baseball great of the Negro Leagues
- Thomas Mellon (1813–1908), founder of Mellon Bank
- General James S. Negley (1826–1901), Civil War general and U.S. Congressman
- General John Neville (1731–1803), American Revolutionary War veteran
- Richard Mellon Scaife (1932–2014), billionaire supporter of conservative causes, publisher of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
- The unidentified remains of 54 victims of the 1862 Allegheny Arsenal explosion.
Additional Information | Registration is limited to 25. Participants are required to bring a smart phone. Please dress appropriately, as this workshop will take place entirely outdoors.
Please email questions to Tyler Samstag at email@example.com.